Here are recommendations from FEMA for basic protective measures for all types of hazards:
- Physical safety is a concern for all hazards and may involve sheltering or evacuating.
- Develop a family communications plan
- Make an emergency supply kit to be prepared for any type of disaster.
- Learn about receiving emergency alerts and local emergency plans for shelter and evacuation, local emergency contacts, and local advance alerts and warnings.
- When recovering from a disaster, safety as well as mental and physical well-being must be considered.